This is a simple soup with mild and exotic flavors simultaneously. I love this kind of food because we don’t spend much time in the kitchen, but we get a delicious dish, nutritious and different. I’m sure you will like them a lot and will benefit nutritionally greatly.
Benefits of the sweet potato and coconut
Sweet potato gives us:
- Vitamins and nutrients such as vitamins A, B6, and C, copper, iron, manganese, potassium, and dietary fiber.
- Beta carotene is associated with the prevention of degenerative diseases, heart problems, asthma, and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Antioxidants that regenerate and repair our body at the cellular level
- Carotenoids help stabilize blood sugar levels in the blood and decreased resistance to insulin.
- Helps stimulate metabolism
- Aid to weight loss
- Soothes and heals skin problems (I am witness to that)
- It helps fight bacterial infections and viruses.
- Studies show that helps improve and even reverse the effects of Alzheimer’s.
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 large carrots, peeled and diced short
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 leek (leek), sliced thin
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, optional
- 2 tsp. Garam Masala (an Indian spice)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 can coconut milk
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Cinnamon and nutmeg for garnish
- In a large pot over medium heat, saute the ginger, garlic, celery, onion, and leek in coconut oil until translucent and soft.
- Add Garam Masala and stir to release the flavor of the spice.
- Add carrots, sweet potatoes, and vegetable stock. Raise the heat to high and boil. As it boils, lower the temperature to simmer.
- Cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat and add the coconut milk.
- Puree soup with a hand mixer until thick and creamy. If you have no hand mixer, the mixer can be used regularly while taking note of when the soup is cold.
- Season with salt and pepper and garnish with a pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg.