I love bread… My parents always bought freshly baked bread that accompanied our table in many different dishes. There are many types of breads and it’s important to understand that processed flour is not the best option for our body, besides the added sugar and calories they provide. When I changed my lifestyle, I had to change my eating habits… Especially in my bread consumption! Now I eat many varieties of breads.
That’s why I want to share with you different alternatives available in the market, so you can modify your diet and change the “typical white processed bread “ for more natural, with less calories, equally delicious and full of nutrients wholegrain breads.
5 Delicious wholegrain breads
1. Pita bread: Comes from the Arabic culture and has far fewer calories than white bread. This is probably the most well-known of the wholegrain breads out there Many consider it a bread with a mild flavor, but I recommend it for sandwiches. A wheat pita bread with a tablespoon of peanut butter has 174 calories.
2. Sprouted bread: This is one of my favorites wholegrain breads, as it’s made with the germ of the grain. This means fewer calories and more vitamins. Essene bread/Ezekiel sprouted grain is about 35 calories.
3. Wheat bread, rye or other grains: these wholegrain breads are made with unprocessed flours and precooked seeds are added when making it. This is why it has fewer calories and more fiber. A slice of whole wheat bread has 74 calories.
4. Gluten-free bread (corn): It’s made with cornmeal, that like rice doesn’t contain gluten. Gluten is found in grains of wheat, oats, barley, rye and triticale (hybrid of wheat and rye). Celiac patients can’t tolerate gluten, which is why they are encouraged to try this bread. Gluten-free bread provides about 100 calories per 40 grams.
5. Bread Tortillas: This is the easiest bread to produce because it doesn’t leavens nor ferments. The mass is compact and digestion is slower than normal bread. The famous chapati (Indian fine typical tortillas), common corn tortillas in Central America, the matzah or unleavened bread that the Jews made during Easter. A small corn tortilla unit has 32 calories. If the tortilla is made of wheat, it has about 90 calories.